Jay W. Nielsen, MDJay W. Nielsen, MD

Every time I lecture to a large group about Prolotherapy and modes of Pain Management, the first and most vigorous hand in the air for questions is one of two diagnosis’s. The petitioner has either severe TMJ syndrome and is not permanently damaged with ‘corrective surgery’ or they want to know how to fix fibromyalgia.

For the TMJ patient, I have nothing but bad news. They needed to see me before the joint was removed and replaced with Teflon, the bones were cut and relocated and all the ligament disturbed. The moral is, Prolotherapy works only during early to middle phases and works best in mild to moderate cases.

The fibromyalgia patient gets better news. They have been told for years that there is no cure and no known treatment for their disease. The good news is, they don’t have Fibromyalgia! There is no such thing! Fibromyalgia is a ‘diagnosis of exclusion’ meaning that there are no tests to prove it and no known cause. Whenever a disease of this type, what that means is that medicine took a wrong turn down the path of reasoning and never came back to reassess their failure. Now, boxed in a blind end, they won’t give up and they fight to defend a hopeless position.

There are many examples of this thinking. Multiple Sclerosis, Ulcerative Colitis, Eczema, Panic disorder, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Non-viral hepatitis, and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome are all wonderful examples of diseases that are easily treated with persistence if you shift paradigms and open up to the treatments of nutrition, detoxification and dysbiosis (bowel imbalance). Ross Hauser MD, the author of ‘Prolo Your Pain Away!’ says in his book on Fibromyalgia (Prolo Your Fibromyalgia Pain Away!), “Traditional medicine will label someone with Fibromyalgia if they meet certain diagnostic criteria. Unfortunately, the criteria are somewhat vague. The main criterion is the presence of aches or pains at more than four sites for more than three months with no underlying condition causing the pain. This is why I believe this “diagnosis” is erroneous because a cause for chronic pain can almost always be found. “Dr. Hauser goes on to say that the average patient has a joy/despondent cycle consistently as they are told by someone who can list their symptoms exactly that they know what they have, only to be told there is no treatment or cure. Exercise and rest, take anti-depressants, learn to live with it. His suggestion to anyone with the diagnosis is find a Natural Medicine Physician immediately. They know all the possible causes.

I have evaluated hundreds of ‘Fibromyalgia’ patients in my career. Long before I knew about Prolotherapy, Dysbiosis, Wilson’s syndrome, Candida, Hypomagnesemia and a host of other nutritional disorders, I noticed that 40% of all ‘Fibromyalgia’ cases had degenerative disk disease of the cervical spine and if they happened to be severe enough for surgery, they were always improved or cured. I was at a loss for what to do for the other 60% but I knew the diagnosis was a failed diagnosis of exclusion. I also didn’t know what to do for the non-surgical cases from neck disease. Now I do! Prolotherapy.
The problem with Fibromyalgia is that it doesn’t fit the American model of ‘One drug-One disease model’. Multi-factorial disease always falls through the cracks as no one therapy ‘hits one out of the park’. It’s just too much work for the clinician.

The cause of Fibromyalgia is……get your pencil ready!…….everything! It is the final symptom of the broken down host in trouble with any or all of the following causes. Among the many contributing causes are degenerative spine disease, chronic sinusitis, failed anti-oxidant systems, heavy metal poisoning, caffienism, nicotinism, alcoholism, food allergies, hypothyroidism, chronic candida infection, dysbiosis of the bowel,parasite infection, sleep apnea, low magnesium levels, depression, sub-clinical gout, low adrenal function, sex hormone failure, pre-menstrual syndrome (low progesterone), asthma, and much more.
Each patient has one or two major diseases whose cure will cause half the recovery, the rest is just plain hard work and dozens of tests. If you have ‘Fibromyalgia’, start over with more open-minded clinicians.

© Jay Nielsen, M.D.

The opinions expressed here does not necessarily reflect the views of the other member physicians of

Find a Doctor Near You
If you found this article interesting and would like to find out if you are a good Prolotherapy candidate, click here to search for Regenerative Medicine doctors in your area.