Physical Medicine, Rehabilitation, & Acupuncture
Prolotherapy/PRP/Stem cell Specialist, New York City
One of the promising integrative treatments offered by Dr. David Borenstein is prolotherapy, which helps resolve pain and repair tissue damage by stimulating the growth of new connective tissue.
This minimally-invasive and cost-effective treatment can provide long-lasting results for tendon, ligament and musculoskeletal injuries to the lower back, neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, hands, hips, knees, and joints.
Dr. David Borenstein is founder of Manhattan Integrative Medicine, a practice located in New York City’s Columbus Circle area, focused on offering patients the best of conventional and holistic approaches to health.
He obtained his medical degree from the Technion Faculty of Medicine in Haifa, Israel and completed his internship at Staten Island University Hospital.
He has completed residencies at: University Hospital at Stony Brook; Westchester County Medical Center; and St. Charles Hospital and Rehabilitation Center.
During the course of his career he has attended numerous specialized training courses in order to expand the scope of his medical expertise. He is board certified in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, certified in Medical Acupuncture, and is a member of numerous professional societies.
Dr. Borenstein has held many prestigious clinical appointments and positions in leading medical facilities. He has been published in the European Journal of Ultrasound and has been the Chief Investigator on a research project on Spinal Cord Injuries.
He has conducted medical missions in North Korea, Ghana, Cuba, and other countries. Dr Borenstein has trained in the Prolotherapy techniques of the late Dr. Kent Pomeroy,and is affilated with the California Stem Cell Treatment Center.
After his residency, Dr. Borenstein was involved with an integrative medical center and became impressed by the effectiveness of the treatments that were offered there.
The experience led him to incorporate integrative approaches – including prolotherapy, immunotherapy, and stem cell therapy — into his medical practice.
Dr. Borenstein’s areas of specialization do not exist in isolation – patients are diagnosed and treated in an integrative manner to promote both overall recovery and continuing good health.
Getting to know his patients, listening to them, and understanding the symptoms are the starting points for his treatment protocols. In his own words his “greatest feeling of accomplishment comes from helping make real changes in people’s lives, especially after they’ve been through a difficult time.”
Professional Summary Dr. Borenstein has overseen his practice, Manhattan Integrative Medicine, since 2011. He was in private practice from 2005 to 2011.
He served as an attending physician for the Kellman Center for Progressive Medicine in New York from 2002 to 2005.
Before, he was a physician with Industrial Medicine Associates in Holbrook, NY from 2001 to 2003, and an attending physician for the Veterans Administration in Northport, NY from 2000 to 2001.
Dr. Borenstein has served as a Clinical Assistant Professor at the State University of New York at Stony Brook since 2005.
- Board Certification by the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Certified in Prolotherapy
- Certified Acupuncturist
- Member, American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Member, New York State Medical Society
- Member, America Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine Education
- Technion Faculty of Medicine – Haifa, Israel / Doctor of Medicine
- Touro College – Dix Hills, NY / Master of Arts – Physical and Biological Services
- State University of New York at Stony Brook – Stony Brook, NY / Bachelor of Arts – Political Science Residencies
- Chief Resident at St. Charles Hospital & Rehabilitation Center – Port Jefferson, NY,
- Resident at the Department of Radiation Medicine at Westchester County Medical Center
- Intern at Staten Island University Hospital Continuing Education
- Medical Acupuncture for Physicians – Training Course / UCLA – Berkley, CA
- Upper and Lower Prosthetics and Orthotics – Annual Training Course / Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation – West Orange, NJ
- Kessler Manual Medicine Course / Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation – West Orange, NJ Featured in the Media
- Featured Workshop Speaker: New York Open Center for Holistic Health
- Featured on-camera interviews in the Guggenheim Fellowship Award-winning documentary, “Sick to Death,” by Maggie Hadleigh-West
- Featured/quoted in the book, “Beautiful Inside and Out: Conquering Thyroid Disease with a Healthy, Happy, ‘Thyroid Sexy’ Life,” by Gena Lee Nolin and Mary Shomon, published by Simon & Schuster/Atria Books
- Interviewed on the Joan Hamburg Radio Show – WOR 710 AM, New York City
- Also featured in Woman’s Day Magazine, Epoch Times
- Interviewed on Blog Radio Network
- Online interviews at About.com Thyroid Site, HypothyroidMom.com, Everydayhealth.com, AOL.com, GenaLeeNolin.com/ThyroidSexy, ThyroidChange.org